It has been a while since I have posted on this blog so I figured I might as well blow the dust and cobwebs off the blog and submit a post for crying out loud. That’s the thing though, I also blew the cobwebs off my road bike today too and finally rode my first road bike ride of 2014! Here it is March which is way past my ride time – I should of been riding much sooner but here is what happened… WINTER! We had one of the most horrid winters we have ever had, in fact it was the worst I can remember in my 29 years of living. Ice… Snow… Wind… and horrible below -10 temperatures… My truck even died one day because of the cold. I am not a winter cyclist – I hate being in cold weather. Then once it finally warmed up, I was just wore out from the winter and cold and didn’t feel like riding ever besides a few times I rode on the mountain bike. But today, a windy day too, I was full of stress and decided to go out and ride.
It wasn’t a lot compared to what I have done in the past but I haven’t rode since 2013 and it was pretty windy and quite hilly so I think it was good enough to start out with. The ride starts out at Giant City State Park, an awesome park in southern Illinois full of great paved riding roads, hiking trails, cabins, a lodge and more. If you are ever in southern Illinois on a trip or traveling – I highly suggest you stop by Giant City and check it out. If you are from southern Illinois, well I don’t have to tell you this now do I! See some photos of Giant City State Park below:
REVIEW: Castelli Men’s GPM Sleeveless Full Zip Cycling Jersey
I picked up this jersey from Swim Outlet on sale. As of this post, it is still on sale for $29.95 (original price is $69.99). I wanted a good jersey that had no sleeves for the hotter days. I have purchased Castelli bike shorts in the past and was very satisfied with them so I thought what the heck and bought this jersey. It fits great to size, has the three pockets on the back and the color makes me noticeable to those automobile drivers out there around me. I have to say that I recommend this jersey if you want something without sleeve that works great for cycling.
REVIEW: Men’s Elite Cycling Shorts with Luxury Carbon Air-Mesh Chamois Pad
Where do I begin?! I picked these wonderful padded cycling shorts up for $79.95 from Aero Tech Designs. I needed a great pair of great bike shorts and I like to try different ones to find the perfect short and I think I found just that with these after trying them out on today’s ride… So here is what I personally love about these bike shorts…
- The Pad! The pad is one of the most comfortable pads I have ever had the pleasure of sitting on. Its construction relieves pressure from my prostate area which is quite nice during long and more “in the saddle” type bike rides. The pad is not too thick and not too thin either and it wicks away sweat to the point of me not even really feeling a wet pad and it was a hot one today, too!
- Their made in the USA! I like to support US businesses when I can and I get great quality cycling apparel for great prices from ATD all the time!
- The material is SOOOOO comfortable. Its like second skin the way in forms to your body making it like you are wearing nothing at all. The stretch is perfect and nothing feels too compressed if you get my drift. The side panels of the short are really thin but not so thin that stuff under the short is showing. The thinness is quite nice too because it makes wearing this shorts in the heat and humidity pretty comfortable. The spandex and other material is really soft too and it feels great on the skin.
- The leg grippers are some of the the best I have seen on a bike short. Extremely comfortable and no marks left behind after you take them off.
- Colors and reflectors built in the short makes it great looking as well.
I highly recommend you try these bike shorts!
Well that’s all for now folks, until next time, keep on pedaling and watch for my next blog updates because now the bike riding is on like Donkey Kong!